Sunday, April 27, 2014

End of Event: Readathon

And now it's over... My participation this year has really dwindled from when I first started, several years ago. Back then I was a newly-wed still in my last semester of school. I could easily choose to spend a Saturday how I wanted to... which was curled up with a book, leaving my hubby to find dinner for himself. Now, not so much. I read about an hour and a half throughout yesterday and I got 45 minutes in this morning after waking up before it was all over. 


I finished Allegiant yesterday, which I highly enjoyed. I keep reading these YA dystopian novels because they're the big thing and I want to see what everyone is so excited about. They've been readable to me but I wouldn't call them great books, but out of the ones that I've read, I think the Divergent series is the best. I liked the characters a lot. I enjoyed seeing them push themselves and discover who they are. 

Last night I started The Stand by Stephen King. This will be my third Stephen King novel (I've also read The Green Mile and Under the Dome (which is nothing like the TV show!)). I can't do horror at all, it totally freaks me out, but some of his works, while still tough to read, can be very engrossing. Or should I say, engrossing. I also love long books, so at over 1000 pages, I'm hoping this book will appeal to me.

Anyways, here is the end of event meme:

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? After my daughter's first nap time, I couldn't find anymore time to read, everyone in the house seemed to need stuff done and that was it. I found it very frustrating and hopefully I can control the situation a little better next year.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? If you're into the YA dystopia genre, I highly enjoyed the Divergent series, I finished up Allegiant as part of the readathon.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Could you have a post on how to actually use Twitter? I'm still trying to figure that out and would love to try connect more with other readers.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I enjoy the visits from the cheerleaders.
  5. How many books did you read? Finished one that I had already started and just started another... so, 0.6 books?
  6. What were the names of the books you read? Allegiant by Veronica Roth and The Stand by Stephen King
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? Allegiant
  8. Which did you enjoy least? I guess, The Stand, but I'm not far enough into it to know if I'll like it.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? n/a
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Definitely! I think I'd like to try to be a cheerleader. I've never done it but it would take some pressure off me if I'm not trying to read whenever I get a free moment. Plus I'd love to see how other people handle their schedules and what they do during the readathon!
Happy Reading everyone! See you in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment